By Adam Kahn
Senior Director, Marketing Operations and Demand
Frost & Sullivan
Marketing Impact 2025: A Frost & Sullivan Executive MindXchange might have ended, but during my time at #FrostMAR I gathered seven key takeaways that marketers of all shapes and sizes will find useful. As a marketing professional with 20+ years’ experience, I found Marketing Impact 2025 to be an incredible event that included a ton of “ah ha” moments, amazing memories, new friendships and great food! I’m inspired by the insight and knowledge I gained, but equally energized by the relationships I developed and enhanced.
The event took place in Nashville on July 16-18, where over 150+ marketing minds gathered to exchange ideas, build relationships and learn from leading organizations like FedEx, SurveyMonkey, Vanguard, Dun & Bradstreet, TaxSlayer, Bloomberg, Pitney Bowes, Vonage, Fujitsu and many others.
Here are my top takeaways from the event. Drum roll please….
1. AI can’t solve Phase 2 problems. We (real people) need to be the innovators. Machines don’t understand psychology.
2. You can’t hide from GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)! @juliettesultan, Chief Marketing Officer at SailPoint, told us how we can face it head on. The first step as marketers is to truly understand where our data is stored (databases, spreadsheets, platforms, etc.) and how it’s structured. We MUST “build a fort” around that data to protect it. Here’s a podcast on the same topic.
3. Sharing knowledge and insight among peers is PURE POWER! During the event, there was an incredible opportunity to ask for help, by writing down your marketing question. You read right, actually writing with a marker. Fellow participants took the time to answer those questions and pose their own. What an amazing and simple way to engage with each other to share knowledge, insight and best practices.
4. Monetize EVERTHING! If you can’t measure and assign a value, you can’t show ROI. Not much too elaborate on here, it’s a simple concept, yet extremely powerful when measuring ROI for your executive suite. Assign a dollar value to each conversion point, extrapolate out on a monthly and annual cycle and watch your executives eyes widen with delight!
5. Time is two times more important than channel, which is two times more important than copy/message! The delivery time of a message/email/post is more important than the channel or the message itself. If you’re message isn’t getting seen by the highest percentage of people, it just doesn’t matter what channel it’s on.
6. Key data stats I collected from a variety of sessions:
- 90% of data in the world has been created in the last 2 years!
- Data doubles every 25 hours!
In an age of constant technological change and more available data than ever before, it’s important to keep up with marketing technologies, harness information intelligently, and evaluate your digital marketing efforts frequently.
7. Nashville is a FUN town, but Marketing Professionals are MORE FUN!
Mark your calendar for next year’s 20th anniversary marketing event: July 15 – 17, 2019, the location is currently being finalized.
If you missed this year’s event, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered with our Executive MindXchange Chronicles! Benefit from videos of the keynotes and focused session summaries of the entire event, including key ideas and takeaways, plus guidelines for implementing these strategies at your own organization. The Executive MindXchange Chronicles are the next best thing for those unable to attend and those looking for best practices in the industry.
Adam Kahn serves as Senior Director, Marketing Operations and Demand at Frost Sullivan. He is a passionate event and digital marketing professional who has worked in the events industry since 1994 for both higher education and for-profit event organizers, including: ZDEvents/Key3Media, iMark Communications, IIR, Diversified Communications and Rising Media. Adam has successfully launched and managed events throughout the United States, Canada and India during the course of his 20+ year career.